Saturday, December 14, 2013

Matthew 11:28-30

Matthew 11:28-30
28 ¶Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Sonnet 505 Reflections on Matthew 11: 28-30

The yoke has been a genius way to pack
As long as any cargo has been hauled
You cannot share the power of legs and back
Unless some sort of harness is installed.

And best to be yoked up with someone strong
Enough to lighten any sort of weight
Someone whose help is never slight or wrong
Who offers peace and rest without debate.

And burdens much more grave than gravity
Like sin and loss and grief and death and pain
Are carried in that endless cavity
That such a yoke can lift without a strain.

Why heap your burdens in a careless pile
When He would help you carry them in style?

No comments:

Post a Comment