Monday, October 21, 2013

Exodus 20:3-17 (#7) Thou shalt not kill

Sonnet 695 Exodus 20:3-17 (#7) Thou shalt not kill.

My Hebrew is as weak as weak can be
But I can study out a word or two
And sometimes, in my weakness, I can see
That English words in scripture aren't quite true.

The origin of “kill” is such a case
In English it's as broad as broad can be
And much more than the murder of the race
It could include the swatting of a flea.

But this translation isn't really right
The Hebrew word is narrowly defined
To cover only homicidal spite
The wanton sorts of murder of mankind.

For good advice on killing as a sport
I recommend you study this report.*

*Fundamental Principles to Ponder and Live 
President Spencer W. Kimball, Ensign, Nov. 1978, 43
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1978/10/fundamental-principles-to-ponder-and-live?lang=eng


No comments:

Post a Comment