Monday, January 13, 2014

James 2:17-18

James 2:17-18
 17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
 18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

Sonnet 772 James 2:17-18

The argument continues even now
On one side,  “born again” and “saved by grace”
And on the other “work” and  “hand to plough”
And each will find some writ to make their case.

It's true, of course, that Christ has done it all
That no one earns salvation on his own
And nothing else releases from the fall
That each must bow, in faith, before His throne.

And yet the sheep and goats are sorted plain
By what they do for others and their Lord
And sermons and His parables explain
That one must give of all he can afford.

Without both faith and works, your faith is dead.
That should have put the argument to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment